Information on RCMusic Rudiments Exam Theory Classes
The Ware Academy of Music would like to provide our rudiments students with an optimal learning environment according to their unique needs. The educational ideal is to place the student in a class where they are able to memorize the required facts and complete the assigned homework practice so that they can successfully execute the procedures of rudiments. Remember that confidence is built only through a command of knowledge. Ideally one small accomplishment will inspire the next!
Parents should consider the following issues in order to choose the class appropriate for their child:
- How old is the student?
- What level of piano certificate are they currently pursuing?
- Is the student quick to memorize facts or slow?
- Is the student eager to learn?
- How much study time will the student be able to devote to rudiments on a daily basis?
- How much time will I as a parent be able to spend helping with memorization?
Basic RudimentsSatisfies requirement for Grade 5 practical certificate. Students may also take Comprehensive Intermediate or Comprehensive Advanced Rudiments. Next Class
- Level: Easiest.
- Projected study time for Fall, Winter, Spring: 30-45 minutes per day, 3-4.5 hours per week
- Projected study time for Summer: 1 hour per day, 6 hours per week
- Memorization requirements: Least demanding; recommended for students younger than 9 and older students with little time to study, some memory difficulties or a lazy streak.
- Memory includes major and minor key signatures up to four flats and sharps, easy terms list, various charts.
Comprehensive Intermediate Rudiments
Satisfies requirement for Grade 5-6 practical certificate. Grade 7 Practical plus Comprehensive Intermediate Rudiments equals a Grade 12 high school credit in Ontario. *$50 credit for Comprehensive Intermediate Rudiments with proof of Basic Rudiments exam. Students may also take Comprehensive Advanced Rudiments. Next Class
- Level: Moderate.
- Projected study time for Fall, Winter, Spring: 45-60 minutes per day, 4-6 hours per week.
- Projected study time for Summer: 1.5 hours per day, 9 hours per week
- Memorization requirements: Somewhat demanding, recommended for bright students younger than 9 or older students with some dedicated study time for theory. Memory includes all 12 major and 12 minor key signatures, substantial terms list, various charts.
Comprehensive Advanced Rudiments
Satisfies requirement for Grade 5-8 practical certificate. Combines Basic Rudiments, Intermediate Rudiments & Advanced Rudiments into one class! **$50 credit for students with proof of passing Intermediate Rudiments exam. Grade 8 Practical + Advanced Rudiments = Grade 12 high school credit. Next Class
- Level: Challenging.
- Projected study time for Fall, Winter, Spring:60-90 minutes per day, 6-9 hours per week
- Projected study time for Summer:2 hours per day, 12 hours per week
- Memorization requirements: Very Challenging, recommended for extremely bright students who are highly motivated to study and do well.
- Practice, memory and homework is required. If not done lazy students will fail!
- Memory includes all 12 major and 12 minor key signatures, long terms list, many charts and procedures.
- Mock Exams: In order for all students to reach their potential, parents must ensure that the students complete mock exams 1 and 2 contained in the back of their books, and complete mock exams 3-10. Mock Exams are given out in class and a new one should be picked in the office when the finished mock exams are returned to the office for grading. Each mock exam requires two hours to complete and check. Be warned that students can not expect to improve without practice.
- Two Mock Exams will not be sufficient preparation for optimal results.
- Attendance is essential for these classes because new material is presented in every class!